Minutes of the 205th New Brunswick Faculty
October 23, 2015
Members Present: E. Alessi, D.
Ballentine, S. Bhuyan, R. Boikess, S. Cirignano, S. Connolly, M.
Cotter, J. Crowley, M. Doerfel, M. Flahive DiNardo, J. Friedman, Z.
Gajic, M. Gliserman, P. Hirschfield, M. Killingsworth (Chair), P.
Klein, D. Kumar, J. Langsam, K. McKeever, R. Niederman, T. Ozel, A.
Pichugin, J. Pietruska, M. Rockland, D. Scheck, M. Schwander, J.
Shandler, S. Shapses, T. Stephens, T. Szatrowski, P. Takhistov, K.
Thompson, J. Worobey, J. Zahn
Present: B. Sifuentes-Jauregui (Vice
Chancellor for Undergraduate Academic Affairs), K.
Swalagin (Recording Secretary)
to Order - Mark Killingsworth, New Brunswick
Faculty Council (NBFC) Chair
Council Chairperson Mark Killingsworth called the 205th
meeting of the New Brunswick Faculty Council to order at 1:13
Friday, October 23, 2015 in Brower Commons Room ABC, College Avenue
Campus. He noted that this was the 205th NBFC meeting; not the 206th as
stated on the agenda.
was approved, with the notation that it was actually the 205th meeting;
not the 206th.
of Minutes of September 25, 2015
The Minutes of
the September 25, 2015 NBFC meeting were approved.
- Mark Killingsworth, NBFC Chair
NBFC Chair Mark Killingsworth presented a Chair's Report that
included comments on subjects
Report - Ben Sifuentes-Jauregui, Vice Chancellor for
Undergraduate Academic Affairs
- his recent discussions and investigation of University of
Michigan's football program, and presidential election;
- Rutgers athletic director and president qualifications, and what
Rutgers wants in a senior administrator; and
- how the NBFC can have input on the kind of search firms engaged
for senior administrator positions.
Ben Sifuentes-Jauregui, Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate
Academic Affairs, presented an administrative report, which included
comments on the
Sifuentes-Jauregui then responded to questions, or heard comments, on
topics, and others, including:
- his past four months as Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate
- lingering, unimplemented aspirations of the Transformation
of Undergraduate Education;
- his recent meetings with undergraduate deans or their
counterparts in various schools;
- his goal of bringing faculty back into undergraduate academic
- the need to think about the value of faculty service;
- first-year interest groups, run by students;
- mentoring, learning centers, and the learning assistantship
- Career Services;
- scheduling; and
- space and intellectual support.
6. Follow-Up to
Resolution on PTLs Adopted September 23, 2015
- the changing profile of faculty;
- technology and accessibility;
- disability services;
- the structure of PTL employment;
- the role of faculty in advising;
- sectioning and registration; and
- potential competition for students among programs and units as a
result of implementation of Responsibility Center Management.
Killingsworth said that he had sent a copy of the NBFC's September 23,
on Part-Time Lecturers to Sifuentes-Jauregui and Chancellor
Membership and Charges for 2015-16
Committee chairs spoke about their committee activities and
8. Ad Hoc Committee on Academic
Analytics - Sanjib Bhuyan, NBFC Vice Chair
Council Vice Chair Sanjib Bhuyan presented and handed out
hardcopy of a report on Academic
Analytics. The report was then discussed by the Council.
Killingsworth said that he had asked Bhuyan to put together a committee
to generate a full report on this issue, and that volunteers were
needed for that work, which he would like to see completed in December.
He asked anyone who would like to volunteer to email him or Bhuyan.
9. New Business
Deepa Kumar noted that the merit pool has been awarded,
and that chairs have been notified. There was also some discussion of
the spring teaching conference, as well as the possibility of an
NBFC-sponsored event for Rutgers' 250th anniversary.
The meeting adjourned at 3:04 p.m.
Minutes written and submitted by,
Recording Secretary of the New Brunswick Faculty Council