Minutes of the 199th New Brunswick Faculty
December 12, 2014
Members Present: J.
Aiello, M. Baykal-Gursoy, S. Bhuyan, R. Boikess, M. Fuentes (for C.
Bunch), S. Cirignano, S. Connolly, M. Cotter (Chair), M. Doerfel, B.
Chu (for D.
Fishman), J. Friedman, M. Gasparotto, M. Gliserman, A. Hetling, P.
Hirshfield, M. Katehakis, M-K. Joo, M. Killingsworth, J-H. Kim, P.
Klein, J. Langsam, C. Lugg, K. McKeever, A. Pichugin, D. Redlawsk, D.
Scheck, J. Scheinbeim, M. Schwander, S. Shapses, T. Stephens, T.
Szatrowski, B. Tesar, K. Thompson, R. Welch, J. Worobey, L. Yu, J. Zahn
Present: R. Edwards (New Brunswick
Swalagin (Recording Secretary)
to Order – Martha Cotter, New Brunswick Faculty Council (NBFC)
Council Chairperson Martha Cotter called the
meeting of the New Brunswick Faculty Council to order at 1:22
Friday, December 12, 2014 in Room 411 A/B/C of the Rutgers Student
Center, College Avenue
Campus. The meeting had been moved from the planned location in Brower
Commons because Brower had no heat. Cotter suggested that perhaps the
Council should do something special for the upcoming 200th meeting.
was modified to move the breakout committee meetings to the end, and
was then approved.
of Minutes of October 17, 2014
The Minutes of
the October 17, 2014 NBFC meeting were approved as presented.
Chair's Report - Martha Cotter,
NBFC Chair Martha Cotter's Chair's Report included comments on the
Report - Richard Edwards, New Brunswick Chancellor
- President Barchi's response to the Council's recommendations on
the revenues [handout], expenditures and deficit of the athletics
program, which reflects well on the Council in that it is direct and
thoughtful, even though the Council is not advisory to the president;
- Barchi's promise to keep her and University Senate Chair Ann
Gould informed about progress in revising the athletics plan;
- progress on the Honors College, and circulation of a draft final
report to the committee; and
- introduction of new Council members Julie Langsam (Mason Gross
School of the Arts), and David Scheck (Part-time Lecturer).
Richard Edwards, New Brunswick Chancellor,
presented an administrative report, which included comments on the
Edwards then responded to questions, or heard comments, on a variety of
- announcement of Greg Jackson's sabbatical;
- January initiation of a search for Vice Chancellor for Academic
Affairs, which will be an internal search;
- separation of the positions of Executive Vice President for
Academic Affairs, and New Brunswick Chancellor;
- the New Brunswick Strategic Plan, which had been discussed by the
boards earlier that week; and
- continuing union contract negotiations.
to Endorse the AAUP Centennial Declaration - Robert Boikess
- Responsibility Center Management (RCM);
- movement toward, and nomenclature related to, a system for
defining various units of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey;
- the status of the PRC as a system-wide entity;
- recent press regarding disparities between New Brunswick, Camden,
- numbers and teaching loads of PTLs, and related implications of
the Affordable Healthcare Act;
- competition and mirroring of programs among business and law
schools, and proposals to merge the law schools; and
- RCM and the Honors College.
Robert Boikess presented and moved a Resolution to Endorse the AAUP
Centennial Declaration. His motion was seconded, and discussed. The
resolution was then adopted unanimously. Recording Secretary Ken
Swalagin registered the Council's endorsement on the AAUP website
created for that purpose.
There was no old business.
8. New Business
Comments were made about competition among Rutgers units, and related
implications of RCM and budgeting.
Adjournment, and Breakout Standing Committee Meetings
Cotter stated the challenges to organizing efficient Council committee
meetings. She asked everyone to look at their committee charges and
decide how to break those up within the committees so they can be
addressed, and to determine members' schedules for the spring so
committee meetings can be planned. She then called for breakout
standing committee meetings, and adjourned the meeting at 2:39 p.m.
Minutes written and submitted by,
Recording Secretary of the New Brunswick Faculty Council