Budget and Planning Committee
Mark Killingsworth (Chair)
1. Recommend changes to the NBFC Bylaws to reflect the recent restructuring of Rutgers University and to align the bylaws more closely with evolving Council practices.
2. Consider again the proposal passed by the NBFC in March 2008 requesting an addition to the University Policy Library recognizing the New Brunswick Faculty Council.
3. Consider the processes used in recent searches for high-level administrators on the University and New Brunswick campus levels and make recommendations for improving the search process.
Dan O'Connor (Chair)
1.Determine the impact of fully online courses and degree programs in New Brunswick schools on the rights of faculty members to control and use the intellectual property they develop. Does the Rutgers copyright policy as currently implemented strike a fair balance between the rights of a faculty member who develops copyrightable instructional material and the rights of the university when the faculty member uses “substantial university resources” in developing the material?
2. Investigate the extent to which Rutgers University policies and regulations provide faculty members with academic freedom in teaching, research, and service and with freedom to criticize university actions and policies as participants in shared governance or simply as members of the university community.
Academic Standards, Regulations, and Admissions Committee
Robert Boikess (Chair)
1. Survey and report on the state of undergraduate recruiting and admissions eight years after the reorganization of undergraduate education on the New Brunswick Campus. How have the quality and diversity of the student body changed across schools? How do our admissions statistics compare with those of our AAU peers? Do faculty play an appropriate role in formulating admissions policies?
2. Determine the extent to which standards of academic integrity are being maintained in fully online courses offered by Rutgers -New Brunswick. How is testing being done in such courses? Should the Academic Integrity Policy be modified to deal specifically with online courses? Make recommendations for best practices in this area
Library and Academic Resources Committee
Dan Fishman (Chair)
Madeline Flahive- DiNardo
1. Consider the impact on library resources and services of the integration of the New Brunswick/Piscataway components of UMDNJ into Rutgers and of Rutgers entrance into the CIC. Propose possible recommendations to the Library administration on best ways to deal with the effects of both these developments.
2. Keep the Faculty Council informed about progress in developing an implementation plan for the Open Access Policy and convey Council concerns to the committee in charge of developing and implementing the plan.
Student Affairs Committee
Ken McKeever (Chair)
1. Determine the extent to which student needs for academic advising and support are being met at the department, school, and campus levels post-reorganization of undergraduate education in New Brunswick. Make recommendations for improving delivery of these services.
Curriculum, Teaching, and Honors Committee
Martha Cotter (Co-Chair)
Martin Gliserman (Co-Chair)
1. Monitor the work of the New Brunswick Honors College Committee, report to the full Council on the Committee’s progress, and provide input from the Council to the Committee.
2. Determine the number of fully online undergraduate courses being offered by departments and schools on the New Brunswick campus. Have the faculty teaching online courses been properly trained in how to organize such courses most effectively? Are these faculty properly supported technically? Are the standards and the expectations for students as high as those in similar traditional courses? Are the learning outcomes of online courses being assessed? appropriately? Make recommendations for improvements where needed.
3. Consider whether there is a need for a New Brunswick-wide faculty curriculum liaison committee to resolve curricular disputes among the schools on the New Brunswick campus. If so, propose the optimal organization, duties, and procedures of the committee. Refer to the proposal (never implemented) for such a committee passed by the NBFC in April 2010.