Issues for Presidential Search
The discussion on the presidential search can be informed by the
following questions set by the external consultant:
What are the major challenges and opportunities the next
President will inherit? ... Both immediately and longer term?
If these are the challenges and opportunities, what kind of
person do you feel is best equipped to address the challenges and
exploit the opportunities? What kind of experience,
management/leadership style, world view, personality, et. al.?
Figuratively, if you could draw the picture of the ideal
candidate, what would she/he look like?
We will be contacting many persons who we believe are among the
best potential candidates in the country. They, for the most
part, will not have thought about making a job change and will be
reluctant candidates. Help arm us with compelling reasons we can
use to convince these reluctant candidates to explore our
In addition, there is a "leadership statement" on the presidential
search page (http://presidentialsearch.rutgers.edu/), drafted by the
consultant, amended by the search committee and the BoG and attached
in pdf, which includes the following attributes for the prospective
President will be articulate and have exemplary interpersonal and
communication skills. The candidates being sought will have
unquestioned integrity and impeccable reputations. It is expected
that the next President will have demonstrated extraordinary
management abilities, will have a passion for educating and
preparing students for successful lives and careers, and will
have a strong commitment to promoting research that improves
people's lives and provides opportunities for economic growth in
New Jersey. The selected individual will also have a strong
commitment to diversity which enriches the university and
prepares its students for the worldwide challenges and
opportunities of the 21st century.
Other Qualifications and Characteristics:
Has an earned terminal degree and meaningful executive
experience in a complex multi-constituency institution;
individuals from business, government, and philanthropy will
also be considered if they demonstrate the leadership
experience, skills, and success appropriate to the President
- Devoted to promoting excellent teaching and important
- Committed to the highest standards of academic excellence.
- Has an accessible leadership style and an open and
approachable presence-a discerning listener, approachable,
trusting of others, and encouraging and responsive to the
ideas of others.
- Committed to interacting with students, faculty, staff, and
alumni and to being a central part of university life.
- Is a visible presence, not only on campus, but in external
communities; cultivate positive community and state relations
and establish and reinforce linkages to business, industry,
potential donors, and grant-making agencies.
- Appreciates Rutgers' relationships with its host communities.
- Committed to diversity, as it pertains to faculty, staff, and
students, and holds the university's various components
accountable for continuing efforts in this regard.
- Is willing to confront difficult choices and to be
courageous, compassionate, fair and objective in
- Fosters a creative and entrepreneurial approach to
cultivating new sources of funding.
- Views alumni and parents as valuable constituencies of the
university, with important roles in university life.
- Develops and supports those efforts aimed at continually
recruiting and retaining quality students and faculty.
- Enhances the university's image and reputation to local,
state, and national audiences.
- Fosters a positive, collaborative, and constructive
relationship with the Boards of Governors, Trustees,
Overseers, and Rutgers University Alumni Association.
- Has a sense of humor, high energy, quiet self-confidence,
enthusiasm, and the ability to share credit with others.
Last modified: Wed Oct 26 10:20:50 2011